It’s time for the long-awaited sequel to Charles-Louis Hanon’s Le Pianiste Virtuose en 60 Exercices!! Well, not really, because Le Pianiste Virtuose en 60 Exercices (The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercises) doesn’t have a sequel. No, this is the sequel to my first post about the Virtuoso Pianist, and in this part, we’ll cover pianos, fingers, and not much else. If you’re reading this series for the first time, do read the first post’s introduction first. Really. Seriously. Honestly. Lie. Wait, no, it’s not a lie, it’s a -ly
We’ve moved past the Preparatory Exercises, so now, it’s time for harder exercises. In fact, you could even say they’re ‘Transcendent Exercises For Preparing The Fingers For The Virtuoso Exercises’. That’s what Hanon says. I mean, said, because he’s dead (hey, that rhymes), which means… woohoo, we’re still doing preparatory exercises…
Prepare to READ»
It’s Musical Monday, and perhaps just playing Czerny all the time has gotten a little boring for you guys. But don’t sweat, because I’ve got something much more exciting prepared, just for you: Hanon exercises, instead!
Charles-Louis Hanon’s Le Pianiste Virtuose en 60 Exercices (The Virtuoso Pianist in 60 Exercise) is an (in)famous collection of (you guessed it) 60 piano exercises, meant for developing finger and wrist strength, agility, endurance, flexbility, suppleness, you name it. Ask any piano teacher or pianist what the most useful book of exercises are for the piano, and half will probably name Hanon’s. Ask the ones that don’t what the most harmful book of exercises are for the piano, and chances are, they’ll probably all name Hanon’s.
But: you must have at least a year of keyboarding experience before starting Hanon practice. Starting it too early will a) dumb down your musical sense b) force you into amateurish hand postures and c) be impossible to play. If you’re here and want to learn how to play piano, Lypur’s ‘Learn How to Play Piano’ playlist is the perfect tutorial for you! Well, maybe it’s not perfect, and maybe it’s not for you, but do give it a shot. (Look, he’s even made a video about the Virtuoso Pianist and Erster Wiener Lehrmeister im Pianofortespiel!)
Like it or hate it, every pianist has encountered Hanon’s exercises sometime in their lifetime. Thus, in this series of posts, I’ll be venturing to play them all. Like a Pokémon master but without the Poké, without the mon, without the mast, and without the er.
Two posts ago, I began my quest. My quest to play all 100 exercises in Carl Czerny’s book of beginner piano études, Erster Wiener Lehrmeister im Pianofortespiel. What is a piano étude? Well, my previous post explains this and much less (that is to say, it does not explain much more than this), and I strongly suggest you start from the very beginning if you are trying to learn piano.
Actually, if you are trying to learn piano, I strongly suggest you do not try Czerny’s piano exercises at all. The learning curve is too steep, and without a proper piano teacher, your form and posture will be all incorrect. I do not count as a proper piano teacher because my form and posture is already incorrect and its incorrectness is already incorrigible.
This post, we’ll talk about posture, technique, and another guy, Hanon, ‘s exercises. That’s improper grammar and punctuation, but I want to pronounce ‘Hanon’ with pauses at each end, and ‘s exercises together as one word, because English is stupid and French liaisons sound really, really good. Unlike my performances of the following exercises.
Last post, I announced my great expedition to record all 100 exercises from Carl Czerny’s book of études, Erster Wiener Lehrmeister im Pianofortespiel (no, don’t ask me how to pronounce that).
This Musical Monday, you will learn about accidentals and key signatures, the qualities of an étude, and of the history behind this collection.
But without further ado, let us begin with post two (hey, that was a rhyming couplet!).
These rhymes I’ll continue, and ah-ah-ah-achooo»
Is Kyousuke blushing? Is he recovering from the scars of battle… or puberty? Is his acne untreatable? Are my mspaint-editing skills absurdly bad? Tune in on the next episode of ‘this post where I talk about nothing because this chapter talks about nothing’ on the only blog with posts that talk about nothing, O-New~!
Today, we’ll talk about nothing»
Alright, guys, it’s time for a new piano project!
That sentence was misleading, because it somewhat implies that I have completed older piano projects, whereas in fact, I have not completed any piano projects! Nor started any, for that matter… until now.
What is the project? The project is to play all 100 pieces in Carl Czerny’s Erster Wiener Lehrmeister im Pianofortespiel (lit. “First Viennese Masters in Piano Playing” (courtesy of Google Translate), or ‘Practical Exercises for Beginners on the Pianoforte’), Opus 599.
Projected outcome: disaster»
Yes, I know. The pun doesn’t even make sense, because y’know, it’s actually May 6th right now and I’m lying to you guys about this post date. But guess what, O-New TRANSCENDS time and space, and I can post bad puns ANYWHERE, ANYTIME I want to. DEAL WITH IT
In this post which is not about anime nor manga and is instead about the life of the most boring person to ever walk the earth, I will talk about:
- May the Fourth
- How I’ve Only Watched the First Episode of Star Wars
- Dropbox Contests
- Cinco de Mayo
- Birthday Presents
- How I’m Not a Nerd Because I Don’t Play Video Games
- How I Learned to Love the Aniblog Tourney
- Flower Pictures
- Your Face
- Outdoor Track Meets
- Your Mother’s Face
Rest assured, I will touch upon every single one of those topics, and in that order!!
Yes, I will also touch your mother’s face»
Rushing off to some Churchill thing to select courses now. Please be patient, boys are now EASTER LONG WEEKEND YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH your post’ll come later…
…but who said it would be about Steins;Gate?
Actually, I did»
The final Mouretsu Pirates episode of this season AND IT’S LATE.
Please wait warmly, boys are now running outside in the mud even though it’s sunny and there actually isn’t any mud outside so I can’t make any farm plots to harvest plump helmets which is what I once did for five hours straight yesterday thus explaining the lack of a proper post
That is quite possibly my current face»
It’s time for MUSHY’S SEMI-WEEKLY ANIME POST! It’s time to GET YA GUNS ON, because we’re BLASTING OFF for a journey into CYBERSPACE!!
My old school’s 100 years old»
GOD my FUCKING GOD fuck YOU ALL OF YOU my GOD just FUCK FUCK FUCK. If you want to FUCKING SKIP these FUCKING EXPLETIVES you better SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE where I will SUMMARIZE everything that I will SWEAR this episode
Remember my FUCKING LAST POST?! Well, guess what just HAPPENED to FUCK? You see, I, being a significant, important, and influential personage of the anime industry, had received exclusive access to the pre-air of the next episode of Black★Rock Shooter (TV) – episode three – four days before it aired to the general public. BUT FOR SOME STRANGE REASON, my EXCLUSIVE ACCESS had been STRANGELY REMOVED!!! This is a SEVERE ATROCITY and I demand to RECTIFY this situation IMMEDIATELY by writing on a BLOG that NOBODY READS about the next episode of Black★Rock Shooter (TV) – episode four – two days after it aired to the general public, because by doing this, I will most definitely recover my EXLUSIVELY REVOKED access to the pre-air of Black Rock whatEVER just like my face is like THIS. Madoka. Just…. just… stop it. Here, Madoka can act like this (warning: danbo) for all I care. Because HERE IS MY FACE. Currently.
ARGH. I’ve had ENOUGH of this SILLY LOG. *kicks tree away with sharp part of foot*
tree with a goatee says :(»
Are you ready for a pun? Yes, you are.
See that sunset? Yes, you do.
When does the sun set? In the evening.
What time is the evening? Very late.
So. What’s this enormously late post going to be about?
The title says it’s going to be about ‘2012 Winter Anime First Impressions Part Two’. OK, so what does that mean? It means that this post is going to be about my first impressions of the anime airing in the winter of 2012. And this is part two.
Read part one here.
Whereas part one’s shows all sucked, part two’s shows… well, half of them suck. The other half are decent. And then there’s one awesome show. But it’d be too disjointed if I just hopped around from one anime to another in this post, without any main thread in between. So this post is going to be about anime, and first impressions, and 2012 Winter. But it’s also going to be about Anime Club. That’s right, Anime Club.
So now you know what this post is going to be about.
Click for CAPITALISM»
The Creepy Cartoon Controlling Program, also known as the Crazy Changing Comics Player, and shortened to ‘CCCP‘, is the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Социалисти́ческих Респу́блик. The Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Социалисти́ческих Респу́блик is in charge of playing crazy changing comics, as well as controlling creepy cartoons. Sometimes, the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Социалисти́ческих Респу́блик does not work, whether it is because they are on strike, they are on their lunch break, it is a national holiday, or the Социалисти́ческих Респу́блик has been nuked by the Соединенные Штаты Америки.
Obviously, this is a great hindrance to those who wish to watch creepy cartoons or crazy changing comics.
Having run into this problem in the past, I am experienced with the art of making the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Социалисти́ческих Респу́блик work. Unfortunately, I forgot how exactly I made the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Социалисти́ческих Респу́блик work, and the methods by which I have made the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Социалисти́ческих Респу́блик work are not recorded anywhere.
So, here, I shall teach you how to make the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Социалисти́ческих Респу́блик work.
This problem where the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Социалисти́ческих Респу́блик does not work is characterized by six things when you attempt to open a Matryoshka doll:
- A error message which pops up that says something about a ‘D3DERR_NOTAVAILBLE’;
- A second error message which pops up that says something about a ‘D3DERR_NOTAVAILBLE’;
- Audio which works;
- Subtitles which work;
- Video which doesn’t work because it is upside down;
- Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Социалисти́ческих Респу́блик which does not work.
The solution is complicated, and requires many steps. I shall provide you the instructions in a list below.
Why am I blogging Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa right now, instead of, say, ST&RS? Well, uh, ST&RS is going to get cancelled soon, and I haven’t seen updates for the longest time. Meanwhile, Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa is going to get cancelled soon, but I have seen updates for the longest time.
Also, I’m here to take everything I said in my last Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa Manga Quarterly Review back.
You see, when I made that post, I actually only read to chapter 24. I didn’t read up to chapter 26 yet. I made that post then because there was no other post to make, and so I had to make a post without actually having read what the post was talking about. I swear, I have a tag for that, but I forgot what it was. Maybe the tag was ‘Ore no Kouhai ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai’. Maybe not.
Anyways, after making that post, I read up to chapter 26. Everything got better.
And now, chapter 27.
which I didn’t read yet»
Oh, hey. Welcome to February. Note that the first anime of this season aired nearly a month ago (Natsume, on January 3rd). Back in my day, they called me the lATEM@STER. Because I write posts. That are late. Hahaha. That’s not even a pun what am I typing
Here, read my season previews. They’re decent. And by decent I mean they’re not horrible. That is to say, they’re merely bad and/or mediocre. Just read those god-damned posts and come back here and read this god-damned post and like, just, damn yourself, god
Before anyone accuses me of espousing anime as an entertaining, interesting, and fun medium of communication, let me disclaim myself with a disclaimer that I believe fully fits the mood of this post.
[Disclaimer: ANIME SUCKS]
I wear anime sucks in my anime shoes»
EDIT: Hey! Guess what? WordPress support replied, and fixed the problem!
I only posted this post because I’ve no other posts to post, so here it is: a post repealing WordPress’s affiliate links detection system regarding FileSonic.
you can’t spell ‘repeal’ without ‘epea’»
- Soft drinks aren’t soft. Pillows, on the other hand…
- They always claim that they’re “ice cold”. They can’t be, because they don’t sell huge frozen chunks of Coke-ice/Pepsi-ice in a bottle/can/whatever. That would be ice cold. They’re selling them at like 10 degrees Celsius, because not many people want to buy solid chunks of flavored ice.
- The straws they give out for the soft drinks always are crappy.
- You can’t get straws for your soft drink (which isn’t soft) if you aren’t in a fast food joint.
- The soft drink tastes different in North America than it does in China. I note Coke specifically, and also 7-Up.
- Room temperature soft drinks would taste like flavoured water, only it would be sugar-flavoured. Also, flavoured water is usually (to me) water-flavoured water with a bit of indistinguishable random taste that you can’t define. Or, for that matter, you can’t taste. Also, room temp. soft drinks taste bad.
- Some idiot will always shake the bottle up like one of those paint bucket-shakers.
- And they’re probably doing it in a way that it can’t fail to land on your clothing.
- And they’re doing it right now.
- The only way to not get any pop on your clothing is to not wear any. This won’t really work, because no one will be remotely near you anyway (which kinda mean it does work) for nudity reasons.
- The soft drink spilled on your clothing does not wash off.
- If you can’t see them doing it, you’re doing it. Subconsciously. With an invisible bottle.
- The bottle will never fizz up after the cap is opened a second time.
- The bottle will always over-fizz before initial opening.
- The bottle will fizz even if you don’t shake it. Cynical, biased research has shown that this is a conspiracy on the part of WHUUUUUPS’ (We Hate UUUU; UPS) bottle delivering services, aided by the Government Committee Of Making Our Roads Have Potholes In Them and the Government Committee Of Building Speed Bumps The Length And Height Of The Great Wall Of China, and let’s not forget the infamous Government Committee For Failing To Fill In The Potholes The Goverment Committee Of Making Our Road Have Potholes In Them.
- Soft drinks must always have at least
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE THOUSAND AND ONE ninety grams of sugar. Per sip.
- Your older/younger sibling will always never stop drinking from your bottle, even if they were told by yourself to only have a sip, unless the bottle has negative fluid content. They will also be temporarily struck with deafness to pleas along the lines of “STOP”, and cannot choke. They will also always beat you in competitions of chugging large amounts of liquids.
- Number 15 will usually happen with your friends. It will always happen if you have no siblings.
- Soft drinks should not be called soft drinks (titular inaccuracy, as discussed in Number 1). They should be called “ubersugar liquids”. Also, they should not be called “pop” drinks, because they don’t really pop.
- Unless you count the “pop” of the bottle/can/whatever cap opening for the first time.
- Or if you count “pop” as a substitute for the expletives you’ll use once the soft drinks soak your clothing when you opened the cap.
- Or if “pop” is the substitute for the profanities the person shaking the pop bottle says when they see you without clothing in an attempt to prevent your clothing from being soaked.
- Or the “pop” is the sound of WHUUUUUPS’ “security” men/bodyguards coming after you with guns for having pop bottles that don’t fizz. Which are impossible to make, but they’ll still try to frame you anyway.
- Or if “pop” is the sound of your brain cells participating in the sport of “synchronized aneurysm-ing” from sugar overdose.
- If “ubersugar liquids” disagrees with you, suggest something in the comments below. I would recommend having a name that is Exactly What It Says On The Tin (TvTropes link) or highly straightforward. I personally propose “Teeth Decay Accelerator Molecules++”.
In case you were wondering, I rarely finish any posts in series. I will, however, start a lot of series.
*As if this being a numerical list was good.