Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin 1
[Notice: Added fanart page! Not that there’s going to be any for a long time to come. Thanks again, flare~ Also, for some reason strikethroughs now work – but only in HTML edit mode. Oh well, the only problem with HTML edit mode is the crap wordpress throws on images. We’d better sort that out one of these days…]
OCCULT ACADEMY is about an OCCULT ACADEMY. Actually, it’s about some person running away from an EVIL BAT. The guy’s a pyrokinesiser, which means he can LEVITATE FIRE. Not that that does anything. Anyways, he doesn’t have HAX SIGN: BURN EVERYTHING so he has to TELEPOT out. UNFORTUNATELY HE HAS NO TELEPOT TO TELESMOKE so he actually needs to telePORT out.
SO HE DIES.
It is revealed he is the FIFTH “ABE MINORU”, a species of HIGHLY INTELLIGENT APE-ANIMALS. THERE IS ONLY ONE “ABE MINORU” left as the US cut all of their funding; NUMBER SIX, Uchida FUMIAKI.
After an OP with so much symbolism I’m not even going to search what they mean, it is revealed that THERE IS A GAP IN THE ANIME-TOUHOU CONTINUUM ALLOWING AYA TO EXIST HERE
Anyways, A PERSON goes up to Mt. Minakamiyama WHERE THERE IS A SCHOOL called WALDSTEIN Academy but everyone calls it… THE OCCULT ACADEMY. YOU WEREN’T EXPECTING THAT, WERE YOU? HUH? HUH?!
The PERSON is greeted by A vice-PRINCIPAL known as KAWASHIMA, who reveals that THE PERSON’S NAME is
Kawashiro KAPPA Kumashiro MAYA and that her DAD, Kumashiro JUN’ICHIROU… DIED. And they are currently HOSTING HIS FUNERAL.
Anyways, they continue his funeral with a TAPE they found of him CHANTING A SPELL TO SUMMON ANCIENT SPIRITS OF THE DEAD. …which was… er.. pretty sad because HE SUMMONED ANCIENT SPIRITS OF THE DEAD.
Thus the principal becomes an evil, superhuman zombie and attacks A BUNCH OF PEOPLE. But MAYA HITS HIM WITH A CHAIR
AND HE FLIES BACK INTO HIS COFFIN.
Maya then decides to give a POLITICAL SPEECH about RELIGIOUS MINORITIES which happens to be COMPLETELY and UTTERLY FALSE (Gustav Waldstein, the “founder” of the school and “definer” of “occult” only exists in this anime and “Letters from the Lost: A Memoir of Discovery”).
Oh, did I mention there were some other characters as well? Naruse KOZUE is just some other “LOL I CAN’T FIND MY GLASSES” girl who is the friend of Kuroki AMI, who is the childhood friend of MAYA. AMI decides to go find “HELP”, and brings along OCCULT DOWSER JK (who looks nothing like what you’d expect a (T)K to look like), and Smile, an ENGINEER-MECHANIC person.
It is revealed that in their childhood, Maya and Kozue were recruited by NASA to Reach for the Moon, but they weren’t Immortal Smoke so they sorta died in space. Yeah, that has nothing to do with the plot. Whatever.
Kozue gets INFECTED AND
THIS TURNS INTO A HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD CLONE attacks the other people. Fortunately, Kozumbie still has the same weaknesses Kozue had; SHE LOST HER GLASSES
That doesn’t stop her from ATTACKING PEOPLE, but SMILE makes her realize that SHE’S NOT ACTUALLY A ZOMBIE and is a LAMIE. Not that that has anything to do with anything. :/
Finally, MAYA enters a room with her father, where they talk about stupid stuff. But, MAYA reveals the sad, sad truth: her father is dead and nothing can change that.
The lamie dies and the show is over.
The vice-principal and some tough looking guy talk about how Maya’s the principal’s daughter in preparation for what is obviously going to be the main plot-thread of the series. The second plot-thread comes when it is revealed that Maya committed suicide and drowned, upside-down, in a giant hurricane-tornado-whirlpool thing.
But finally, the third plot-thread is revealed; after all, the main themes are Daddy Issues and Rotating Penis.
…Eh. First episode had too much information at once, too many things to think about. First, you have the time-travelling thread, which you would’ve thought would be the main thread – until it is revealed that it most likely isn’t because it’s only mentioned at the very beginning and very end. Then the occult battle scenes make you think “how is this possible?!”, and then “how much does Maya know about the occult?”.
Those are the obvious ones, but I was thinking for a while what the people in Occult Academy study. The occult? If they do, it must be pretty boring as none of them knew anything about lamies (lamiae?) when it broke out. What’s the point of that? Does Maya’s father know that the occult exists? What exactly are the “Abe Minoru”s?
Maybe first episodes are supposed to catch your attention with as many questions as possible; nevertheless, I prefer it when it starts with a single, obvious idea and then expanding on that.
Maybe that’s what happened this episode. Time travelling is the main thread, and the principal’s death etc. merely acted to introduce the characters and their abilities and provide some background on the entire anime. After the infodump (which really isn’t an infodump due to battle scenes and the like), it then goes back to the main thread: rotating penis. Er, time travelling.
Despite the confusion this episode, I’m still really looking forward to this. I’m pretty sure the next episode’s out already (making this post a week late), but before I watch that I really need an answer to the most important question of all:
Why is JK so fat?
Link (completely unrelated)
^ List of all Twilight crossovers.
Working!! Half Season Review
System Notice: We now have a live twitterfeed with… AUTOMATIC UPDATES! Thanks to @Walfas and Twitterfeed! Follow /me/ at http://twitter.com/Mushyrulez as I am obviously better than everyone else!
Before we begin:
FLAREDARKNIGHT WINS EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EVERYTHIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It’s sorta stupid that we have fanart already, when there’s nothing to be a fan of yet and nothing artistic about the site. Anyways, this is going to go in some archives because it is that awesome. Thanks again, flare~!
…So, this is an anime half season review. The tag “Anime Post” is for episode-by-episode posts, and “Anime Half Season Review” is a review of an anime every 6 episodes, because I don’t have enough time (read: too lazy) to write one every episode, the anime is an old one so writing one every episode would be pointless, or it’s one that I’ve started watching later in the season.
For Working!!, it’s the third scenario. I started watching everything in the middle of the season, so I didn’t really have time to catch up on every series.
And thus begins the VERY FIRST ANIME HALF SEASON REVIEW WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Basically, this anime is about…
!! (because every anime /needs/ exclamation marks)
There are people who work in a restaurant whose name is VERY VERY CAREFULLY CONCEALED, so I have CIRCLED it for your CONVENIENCE
And then one day they realize THEY DON’T HAVE ENOUGH PEOPLE
AND SO THEY SEND SOMEONE OUT TO RECRUIT PEOPLE
- And so by asking random strangers on the street, she finds someone called awesomebananadancer Takanashi SOUTA who is obviously by first sight a very CREEPY LOLICON
- He is so creepy that he likes DAPHNIA.
- But thank god he likes Daphnia or else I couldn’t have cheated on my Science (Well, the teacher revealed their name anyways)
- The person who recruited him is Taneshima POPURA who was supposed to grow as tall as a POPLAR tree but GENETIC MUTATIONS made her REALLY REALLY SHORT
- Anyways she forced strongly recommended Souta to work for no pay at all.
- So he goes to WORK.
- The ASSISTANT MANAGER is this person, Shirafuji KYOUKO:
- Who basically does nothing all day and eats the store’s supply of PARFAITS.
- Next is Todoroki YACHIYO who was BULLIED as a kid:
- But KYOUKO “saved” her so she works at Whateveryoucallthatstorename. No, not when she was in elementary. Well, hopefully not when she was in elementary…
- Then there are some boring chefs who do not have even anywhere close of a resemblance between a certain awesome pirate because only one of them has blond hair and smokes.
- Satou JUN is the one who is epic but Souma HIROOMI is just some random n00b who happens to be able to blackmail almost anyone.
- Finally Inami MAHIRU is some random person who’s scared of men so she PWNS THEM LIEK RLY HARD LOLOLOL
- …No, seriously.
- So we have these main characters. Then we realize
- THERE IS NO MANAGER
- So he comes back from vacation to the restaurant:
- However, he brought souvenirs for Kyouko to eat. This makes Yachiyo jealous cause we all know her parfaits are the only type of food in the world so she STABS STABS STABS STABS SOPRANO TENOR ALTO BASS SAXOPHONE!
You then realize that Satou is in love with Yachiyo, who is in love with Kyouko. But obviously, as this is a moeblob anime, nothing happens out of that!
A drunken Suika Kozue then appears, who reveals that she is Souta’s SISTER. KOZUE reveals that Souta CROSSDRESSED when he was little because he could only wear his sisters’ old clothes. Obviously this is very, very bad for his reputation and so he BLACKMAILS EVERYONE
We get introduced to the rest of his sisters, one of which is a NOVELIST, Takanashi IZUMI
- That pile of paper behind her is her room. :/
- Then we have an EVIL LAWYER, Takanashi KOZUE
- And finally a NORMAL person, Takanashi NAZUNA.
- As it’s a moeblob anime, there’s basically NO PLOT WHATSOEVER! Meaning after introducing the characters the show is /over/.
- Oh and there’s this:
- …The thing is, what is there to say about this? It’s based on a 4koma. I’m not gonna analyze anything because /there’s NOTHING TO ANALYZE/.
- Yet, that is.
- As for the show itself, it’s interesting; there’s no continuous plot (how many times did I say this now), but each individual scene is humourous enough.
- I would recommend it to people who like watching k-On!, etc., but not to many others. To be honest I was not very satisfied with the anime, but who knows what’s going to happen next?
- Nevertheless, one thing comes to my attention.
- One is why ANIME! ALWAYS! NEEDS!! EXCLAMATION!!! MARKS!!!!!!!!!!!. It makes my sense of grammar wince in pain. “I watched the new anime, Working!!.”. You have exclamation marks and then a period. Working!! is not a sentence by itself; you can’t say: “I watched. Working!! It was interesting.” So then why would they include the exclamation marks?
- But they’re there for like EVERY ANIME. Durarara!. Angel Beats!. Working!!. k-On!. Mayoi Neko Overrun!. This is a Nonexistant Anime by Mushy!?!?.
- Anyways, yeah. If you’ve got stuff to do I wouldn’t recommend watching this anime but if you’re lazy and bored, this is a good way to burn off some time.